Thursday, September 10

Good day. Last night our evening wool group met at our local Vineyard. We have discussed doing this since spring and decided to hold off on our visit until fall to see the vineyard in color. It was beautiful and not a one of us was disappointed!!

We began our evening outdoors with the sun setting over the vineyard and Karen giving us an overview of the vineyard.

We were also given a tour of the area in which the wine is produced and ended the evening tasting the various types of wines that Hinterland produces. If you haven't had a chance to visit them, you WILL NOT be disappointed. They are open Friday, Saturday, and Sundays to the public. They also serve a catered sit down supper once a month excluding the upcoming harvest months of September and October. I am excited that Hinterland is a supporter of our upcoming Art Meandor and hope that our visitors will take time to stop out and see one of Clara City's finest destinations!! The photo below is my newest pattern creation. Although none of us stitched this particular session, I decided my pattern had to reflect our outing. I hope that you like it and if you do make sure to stop in and pick up the pattern as it is our September freebie!!


My outing with Joseph to the State Fair last week brought a couple of encounters with people I did not know before that day. The first encounter was with a man that was about the same age as I was that was racing go carts with Joe. When he finished the race he came over my way and asked if Joe was my son. We talked about our boys as they were close in age and then told me that he also had a boy with autism and a little bit about his story. It is funny how we pass by people every day that have struggles in life that we don't even know about. His name was Paul and I don't think i will ever forget him. As we were just leaving the cities the alternator on my Jeep decided to quit for the day so we pulled off the interstate into a Amoco station. My 3rd trip into the station brought the second encounter with someone who ihas faced a struggle in life. She told me of Matthew Birr who was severely injured in Afghanistan on August 9th. He was enjoying time off duty and the building he was in was hit by a surprise small arms fire attack. He was hit in the head by shrapnel from a rocket propelled grenade. The shrapnel entered the right rear side of his head, exiting near his right eye. Part of his skull needed to be removed due to severe brain swelling. She told me they were doing a benefit for him this Saturday, Sept 12th, and they could not get businesses to donate to his benefit. (I had told her I had a quilt shop) She asked if she could give me his information and if I would donate to the cause that would be great and if not that was fine too as she did not even know my name. As I waited that night for Owen & Lacey to come and pick us up I wondered why God had touched my life that day with these two strangers. It is funny how that happens - it is unexplainable, but I know there is a reason. The picture below is the bag and Tic Tac Toe board Lacey made for Matthew's benefit. We hope that it will help in some small way. I shared this story with a good friend who comes by the shop. She too must have been moved by this as she sent a quilt down for the benefit as well. Lacey and I talked about how different it is in a large town vs the small town as a benefit for that here would most likely have more items than they would know what to do with.

If you care to follow Matt's story, WCCO has a link to his caring bridge website. Please remember him and his family in your prayers. Well back to the sewing machine. Take care and blessings to all! darci




No comments:

Post a Comment